When I started making this dinner, I wasn’t even intending to blog about it. We had come home late from running errands and I had to whip up something quickly so we could get the kids to bed on time. I took a peek in the fridge and pulled out a few items that needed to be used up. I found kale, broccoli, half a jar of pasta sauce, and 5 strips of bacon. It was like my own version of Top Chef. I was short on time, and I had to work with what I had on hand. The result happened to be a very tasty meal that I hope to make on purpose next time.
As soon as the boys tasted this meal and insisted I should take their picture for the blog
“You’re going to write about this on the blog, right Mom? I think you should,” Cole advised me.
He finished everything on his plate and asked for more…and he ate that too! He was so impressed with himself for finishing two helpings. Bennett had no problem eating all his dinner too, and gave it two thumbs instead of his usual one thumb rating. Cole miraculously gave it two thumbs up as well. That was a shocker after so many “so-so” reviews lately.
Kale, Bacon & Broccoli Rotini
5 strips of bacon, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
2 cups kale, chopped
1 head broccoli, chopped
1/2 box whole wheat rotini noodles (about 185 g)
1/2 jar pasta sauce (about 350 ml)
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until browned.
- Add garlic, saute for a minute
- Sprinkle bacon and garlic with flour, then whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, whisking until thickened.
- Reduce heat and add kale. Cook until kale has wilted.
- Meanwhile, boil pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli for the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Drain and add to the skillet of bacon and kale.
- Add pasta sauce and stir until full combined.