During the summer I made these delicious donuts for Bennett because he was sad when he saw some older kids making donuts in their summer camp and he didn’t get to. I told him we could make our own donuts at home. I made the donuts, took the photos, ate the donuts, wrote down the recipe…
…and that was it.
Somehow I completely missed uploading the donut photos from my camera, so I never made it as far as editing them and writing a post. Luckily, I came across the photos when I was looking through my camera and made sure to upload them this time. I can’t believe I almost missed posting such a great easy recipe! No waiting for them to rise, no frying, no donut pan required. You just make the dough, roll it out, and cut out donut shapes. I used a glass, and the cap from my almond milk carton.
Next, they went onto a baking sheet (holes in the middle, because they cook faster).
Then they come out looking like this:
Look at those beautiful, light, fluffy donuts. Now comes the fun part: decorating! My boys had a blast smearing on the icing and loading them full of sprinkles.
I dipped some in butter, then in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Deee-licious!
I can’t get enough of these things. Best of all, Bennett forgot all about those older kids with the donuts when he got to make his own. We had such fun!
Quick Baked Donuts
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup shortening or butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, egg and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir to form a ball with the dough. Add more flour as necessary if it’s too sticky.
- Knead on a floured surface for a few minutes, then roll it out and cut into donut shapes. Place on a greased cookie sheet, putting the donut holes along the middle of the sheet.
- Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of your donuts (the small holes will be finished faster than the larger donuts).
- Decorate as desired (icing, sprinkles, nutella, butter with cinnamon and sugar, etc).