“Baked” Oatmeal in a Mug

"Baked" Oatmeal in a Mug. So good!!

I recently posted about Chocolate Cake in a Mug, where I showed you how to bake a single-serving chocolate cake in only a few minutes. That got me to thinking, would this work for baked oatmeal too? I adore baked oatmeal, but most mornings I don’t have the time to bake it. So I tried applying the principles of chocolate cake in a mug to baked oatmeal, and it actually worked pretty well! I still think oven baked oatmeal is the best, but when you’re in a hurry, this microwave version hits the spot. Like any oatmeal, you can add or change the flavours to suit your taste. I decided on banana and apple for this particular recipe. You could probably use a bowl instead of a mug, but I happen to think the mug is just more fun. It also fools you into thinking you’re eating more than you actually are. Not only is it great for breakfast, but also great for a snack or even dessert. After sharing the recipe for that dangerously addictive chocolate cake in a mug, I’m hoping I can redeem myself with this healthier alternative.

Apple Banana “Baked” Oatmeal in a Mug
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/3 of a banana, mashed
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 of an apple, chopped
2 tsp honey

Add oats, flax, egg and milk in a mug. Stir well with a fork. Add banana, cinnamon, apple and honey. Stir again until fully combined. Cook in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Stir in a little milk or yogurt or nut-butter if desired.

Do you like what you see? Like us on Facebook for more healthy, yummy, and family-friendly food ideas:

We’re also on Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+!

Print Friendly

Comments

1. says

Three tries in and it still doesn’t work….every time it comes out hard as a rock or undercooked. :( I will just stick with your traditional bake in the oven oatmeal!

2. Anonymous says

Very delicious, had to make a few adjustments. It wasn’t liquidy enough to cook the oats so I added about a quarter cup of milk about halfway though cooking, microwaved for four minutes.

Also, disregarding the nutritional value of it, I added about two loose tablespoons of brown sugar.

Thanks for the recipe!

3. says

This recipe is perfect in every way! Didn’t even have to make any adjustments.. And I’m enjoying it right now! Thanks!

4. says

Tried it this morning. Put a spoon full of yogurt on top with some fresh cut up strawberries. It turned out perfect perfect and the texture was so great. Kind of like the texture of a bread pudding or something. I put it in the microwave for 4 minutes, I also put mine in a bowl. THANKS! what a great discovery. Def sending this to the boyfriend =)

5. Anonymous says

Can you make this recipe with regular oats or do they have to be quick cooking ones? It looks super delicious, and I can’t wait to try making some!

6. Laura says

God this sounds so good. Is there a difference between quick cooking oats and simple oats? And do I have to use flax seed?

7. Antonella says

I’m failing to get the right texture but the flavour.. Omg is amazing I totally love it, i will keep trying until I get it right! So delicious and keeps you full for long long hours